IEA-ETSAP Forum

Full Version: Limiting the fuel supply of a given type
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,  I want to give a up limit to the supply of my electricity as a fuel (in PJ). At the moment, I am using an ACT_BND, but according to the results, my model is simply dismissing this constraint. This constraint should be set at the sum of these two types of electricity (the supply of these two type of electricity should not surpass the set value) - the reason why in pset_n I use ",". Yet, according to my results, it feels that the model is reading this constraint not as a sum of both types of electricity but rather individually for each of the two type of electricity - meaning that the up limit of the sum of the supply of these two type of electricity is being perceived by the model as double than what I am setting as a constraint.  Any thoughts of what I might be doing wrong? Thanks
Yes, ACT_BND limits the activity of an individual process, and therefore your bound will be applied to both processes separately. To limit the total supply of a commodity, as an easy solution I would suggest using COM_BNDPRD, or if that is not exactly what you want, you can always use a user constraint. Note also that instead of defining a constant bound for each and every year, you can just define the values for 2022 and 2050 (with your IE=1), or just for 2022, (with IE=5).
I tried this UC constraint, but it is not appearing in item details or veda in general (even though I can see that all is fine in dd files). Any thoughts?
> Any thoughts? Yes.  Please remove the spurious interpolation option 1 for UC_ACT from the second row. And make sure you also have  ~UC_Sets: R_E: AllRegions above that table. But I don't understand how you would not see it under items details; I am seeing it there. I just tested a constraint like yours and it worked fully as expected. BTW, why did you not choose to use COM_BNDPRD?
I did not manage with COM_BNDPRD... and with UC constraint it is working (if I look at the results) yet it still does not appear me in the item details (I have 3 scenarios with UC constraints and just one of them is appearing).  I also rerun a demo model and all UC constraints appear in the item details. So this is clear something that I am doing wrong with my model and this UC constraints.  Any thoughts?
Ok, so the constraint works now, right?  Concerning constraints not appearing under VEDA, that would be a VEDA-specific issue I cannot answer.  I hope the VEDA developers notice this thread, but if not, maybe you could post that question on the VEDA Forum?
Yes, the constraint is working given the results... Right, I will do so! But now I do have other question... and I think this UC constraint is not really working as the dd files are empty.  I want to limit the supply of a given fuel but only for specific technologies. I have done this way - but clearly I am doing something wrong.  Any thoughts?
Yes, the constraint is working given the results... Right, I will do so! But now I do have other question... and I think this UC constraint is not really working as the dd files are empty.  I want to limit the supply of a given fuel but only for specific technologies. I have done this way - but clearly I am doing something wrong.  Any thoughts?
The first character of UC_desc is "*", so the row is deleted before being processed. Veda syntax has the provision to ignore rows and cols to be able to deactivate information easily and to be able to include comments. \I: and * are used as symbols to ignore rows/cols in Veda syntax. Both work for any col and \I: works as row ignore character in most cols. Details are availabe under Information >> Veda tags - in the "Row ignore char" column.
Thanks Amit.  I can now see such an issue also in the earlier UC which was tried by demar, and would explain that the constraint wasn't working or wasn't shown by VEDA.
Yes, now it all works. Thanks to both!
Yes, now it all works. Thanks to both!