Electrolyser Modelling
Hello everyone,

Could any one help me with modelling of a water electrolyser (alkaline or PEM) in TIMES model? The efficiency of electrolysers change when it goes from partial load to full load. I want to model that. Is this possible in TIMES? And how?
Partial load efficiencies can be modelled in TIMES, but in the LP formulation the partial loads are just measured in proportion to the maximum load in each season (or annually, if the timeslice level is SEASON), and so no discrete unit sizes can be assumed.

If that is fine with you, I can try and show an example TIMES specification for modelling such, if you give me some basic characteristics for the technology:

  – on which timeslice level you want the process to operate? (e.g. DAYNITE, SEASON)
  – input(s), output(s) (e.g. sole input=electricity, sole output=hydrogen)
  – what defines the activity? (e.g. activity = hydrogen output, capacity = max. annual hydrogen procuction?)
  – efficiency (full load), efficiency (80% load),..., efficiency (minimum load, xx%)
  – any other parameters you consider relevant for it and wish to see in the example
It is the same issue with the life time of electrolysis and batteries. Personally, I address this in a simplified manner, by including several processes, of example PEMs, with different model input on annual availability, efficiency and life time. For example, a process with AFA=1 has a lower life time than a process with AFA=0.5.
@MAA129:  Ok, I got your message with some characteristics.

Please see below an example TIMES specification in a VEDA Subres template:

Here, the efficiency parameters for 2015 should be closely following those you stated:
66 % efficiency for 100 %, 60 % efficiency for 80 % load, 55% efficiency for 60 % load, 50 % efficiency for 40 % load.
The efficiency loss (measured by increase in specific consumption) at 40% load would be 32%, in accordance with your values (66%/50% = 1.32), as specified by ACT_LOSPL(2015,FX). NCAP_OLIFE gives the operating life at full load (in years), which may lead to a longer technical life if the device is used at partial loads.
(09-04-2019, 03:10 AM)Antti-L Wrote: @MAA129:  Ok, I got your message with some characteristics.

Please see below an example TIMES specification in a VEDA Subres template:

Here, the efficiency parameters for 2015 should be closely following those you stated:
66 % efficiency for 100 %, 60 % efficiency for 80 % load, 55% efficiency for 60 % load, 50 % efficiency for 40 % load.
The efficiency loss (measured by increase in specific consumption) at 40% load would be 32%, in accordance with your values (66%/50% = 1.32), as specified by ACT_LOSPL(2015,FX). NCAP_OLIFE gives the operating life at full load (in years), which may lead to a longer technical life if the device is used at partial loads.

Thank you very much @Antti-L. I will try this way of modelling and see the results.