IEA-ETSAP Forum

Full Version: Setting com_lim to 'N' produces an unexpected result
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an emissions counter for LULUCF emissions (GHGmLULUCF).  It is negative in 2010.  The normal COMBAL equation, for com_lim = 'UP', is:  _EQE_COMBAL(UK.2010.GHGmLULUCF.ANNUAL)#8172:                                  - VAR_COMNET(UK.2010.GHGmLULUCF.ANNUAL)#3205                                  - 439.288824543984 VAR_FLO(UK.2010.2010.ALU00.ALAND.ANNUAL)#4728                                   = 0 I tried to disable the COMBAL equation by setting com_lim to 'N', but this then changed the COMBAL equation to:  _EQE_COMBAL(UK.2010.GHGmLULUCF.ANNUAL)#8172:                                  - VAR_COMNET(UK.2010.GHGmLULUCF.ANNUAL)#3205                                  + VAR_COMPRD(UK.2010.GHGmLULUCF.ANNUAL)#3493                                   = 0 This latter equation caused an infeasibility.  Yet I was not expecting an equation to be created when using 'N'.  Can you explain this to me? (Further notes: the first COMBAL equation does not produce an infeasibility as long as COM_BNDNET is set to a large negative value, so the model is working.  But I'm interested to know what the 'N' option is doing.  Both equations are from the CPLEX writelp option.)
There are multiple unclear issues in your question: 1. You say that the first equation was a "normal" equation generated with COM_LIM=UP.  However, COM_LIM=UP is used for unlimited renewables, for which no commodity balance is to be generated. The normal commodity balance equation is generated with COM_LIM=LO, and it is of type >= (EQG_COMBAL)  Your equation is of equality type (EQE_COMBAL), and so the equation is definitively neither normal, nor one that you should get when using COM_LIM=UP. 2. You say that the second equation is generated by setting com_lim to 'N'. When COM_LIM=N, no commodity balances will be generated, unless you explicitly request that it should nonetheless be generated, by defining a bound or a cost on the corresponding VAR_COMNET variable, or referring to the VAR_COMNET in a user constraint. In that case, the equation type will be EQE_COMBAL, and the VAR_COMNET variable is activated. I believe you thus must have requested the generation of such a commodity balance, by referring to the VAR_COMNET variable in one way or another. If you can reproduce the issue with the DEMO model, I would be happy to look at it more closely.
For (1), my mistake - the commodity balance was generated with the default COM_LIM=LO, as you say it should be. It was set to the default ENV COM_LIM. For (2), a COM_BNDNET was defined for the commodity. However, removing this and leaving only COM_AGG and FLO_EMIS defined for the commodity does not change the behaviour. It looks like an EQE_COMPRD equation is created to produce VAR_COMPRD, which is equal to VAR_COMNET in the COMBAL equation. However, since COMPRD must be greater than zero by default, and the emissions are negative, this causes an infeasibility. So I think it might work if the emissions are positive, but not if they are negative.
I believe you are also using COM_AGG for the this LULUCF emission. COM_AGG aggregates VAR_COMNET into the target commodity, if COM_LIM=LO. But if COM_LIM=FX or COM_LIM=N, it aggregates VAR_COMPRD into the target commodity (this seems a natural convention to me, because if the user does not want to have the VAR_COMNET variables, what else than VAR_COMPRD can we then aggregate)? That would explain the VAR_COMPRD in your commodity balance, when COM_LIM=N.   Obviously, if you are indeed using COM_AGG, you must have either VAR_COMNET or VAR_COMPRD active. And surely you would want also the negative emissions aggregated into the target, no?   Therefore, the solution would be to set the lower bound of either variable to -INF.
Thanks for the explanation, Antti. We did indeed solve the issue by setting COM_BNDNET to a large negative number. Just as an aside (and admittedly off-forum but related to your answer), is it possible to set -INF in VEDA? It was ignored when I tried it for COM_BNDNET for this commodity.
You can set the lower bound of VAR_COMNET/COMPRD to -INF by setting as follows (NET case): COM_BNDNET(r,t,c,'ANNUAL','N') = -1 (for period t), or COM_BNDNET(r,'0',c,'ANNUAL','N') = -1 (for all periods). Hope that helps.
Great, thanks Antti, it certainly does. I have it working. I'm learning a few new tricks today :-)